Morgantown Office: 123 Canyon Rd, Morgantown, WV 26508

Telephone: 304-594-1900

Toll Free: 888-594-1901       Fax: 304-594-1901

Charleston Office: 400 Allen Dr, Suite 101, Charleston, WV 25302     

Telephone: 304-343-3777        Fax: 304-343-3778

Can I Transfer My Grandmother’s Car to My Name Without Causing a Medicaid Penalty Period?

Apr 8, 2021Uncategorized

This is something of a grey area. You must report most asset transfers to the Medicaid agency, and the transfer will usually cause a period of ineligibility for benefits. You could make an argument that the transfer of a noncountable asset does not need to be reported or, if reported, does not give rise to a penalty. This argument would not work in every state, but it could be that it is a common practice in your state. You will have to follow the advice of your local elder law attorney who will know how the rules are applied where you live. To find an attorney near you, click here.